Badge field

Managing Sensitive Teeth After Whitening

Published date field

One of the best options for tooth surface stain removal and discoloration is to whiten teeth. There are several options and products used for teeth whitening, and it can be performed at home or professionally at a dentist's office. But many people often experience sensitive teeth after whitening. In fact, most people experience tooth sensitivity after undergoing external tooth bleaching that uses the traditional carbamide peroxide.

To Bleach or Not to Bleach

There are many types of whitening products – from gels and bleaching strips to whitening toothpastes and mouth rinses. Tooth whitening, however, can be achieved in two ways: the use of bleaching products and non-bleaching products.

On the one hand, the tooth can be bleached with a product that changes the natural colour of the tooth. Many of these products contain carbamide peroxide, an active ingredient that breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and urea. These substances work to remove stains that are both deep (intrinsic) and those that are on the surface (extrinsic) of the tooth. On the other hand, non-bleaching products contain ingredients or agents that only work to remove surface stains. A dentist can administer whitening products in the dental office or provide one for home use – or you can purchase your own over-the-counter (OTC) whitening products.

Your Sensitive Side

Sensitivity can occur during and after the use of peroxide-based bleaching agents. When your teeth are sensitive, they can have enhanced responses to hot and cold drinks, aggressive tooth brushing or sweet foods – in the form of short, sharp pain. This sensation frequently occurs during the early stages of bleaching treatment when the hydrogen peroxide soaks through your enamel, exposing the nerves in the dentin beneath it.

Unless it contains a peroxide bleaching agent, products like whitening toothpastes (dentifrices) may cause less sensitivity because they only treat your teeth's surface. Different patients can experience different results using the same product depending on their teeth. Generally, gels used in bleaching trays – as well as some OTC bleaching products – have a greater potential for causing sensitive teeth after whitening.

Variations in Sensitivity

Teeth sensitivity is particularly common with higher concentrations and longer contact time with the bleaching product. Most professional whitening products have higher concentrations of hydrogen peroxide compared to OTC whitening products. There is also occasional irritation of the gum tissues with the use of peroxide-based bleaching agents, though sometimes tissue irritation comes from ill-fitting trays used to hold the bleaching agent. Other side effects within the dental and soft tissue (oral mucosa) can involve pulp sensitivity, tooth root resorption and the release of select components of dental restorative materials.   

Reports from clinical trials indicated that excessive alterations to the enamel – or enamel damage – were likely due to low pH of OTC whitening products or overuse or both.

Finding Relief

Sensitivity of the teeth and gums is mainly temporary and stops after the bleaching treatment. However, the frequency and severity of tooth sensitivity can be affected by the techniques used, the quality of the bleaching product and a person's response to the bleaching materials and methods.

There are several products or techniques that are most often used to treat teeth sensitivity also known as dentin hypersensitivity:

  • Use a lower concentration of whitening product.

  • Reduce the amount of tray bleaching wear time.

  • Increase the time between individual bleaching treatments.

  • Avoid whitening for an extended period.

  • Use a desensitising treatment or varnish applied chairside in dental office.

  • Prescribed gel or toothpaste for tooth sensitivity.

  • Gentle brushing with a soft-bristled brush, using lukewarm water.

  • Change diet by avoiding hot or cold foods for a day or two after whitening.

  • Avoid excessive use of at home whitening treatments.

  • Use desensitising agents 10 to 30 minutes prior and after each bleaching.

  • Use bleaching products with added desensitising agents.

Dental Visit

An important step prior to teeth whitening is consultation from your dentist to determine if whitening is an option for you, as well as potential for tooth sensitivity. The dentist can do an evaluation of your teeth and conduct a "touch and air" test to determine the type of whitening treatment method that would be most appropriate for you. Your dentist can also recommend a desensitising toothpaste to provide immediate tooth sensitivity relief. Other options used to aid in reducing the feeling of sensitive teeth after whitening may include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and products that contain fluoride or potassium nitrate.


Want more tips and offers sent directly to your inbox?

Sign up now

This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about general oral health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.